Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Best Friend.

I was lying in my bed earlier today, and I let my mind wander...

Why do we call them "best" friends? Isn't that being a little harsh for the people who don't meet this criteria? I mean, there is no such thing as the "average-but-still-meaningful-friend"...

Best is to have the highest quality, excellence or standing. This can be easily done for objects, when comparing the advantages of having it in our possession. But what about people? Obviously, we cannot use the same tactic. Our friends make us feel complete. They are the person that you rely on because you know that they rely on you. The person you laugh with, cry with, or whom with you can just be free. They are people that have been selectively chosen to enrich your life in one way or another. In life, we stumble, we fall but our friends are there to pick us back up and remind us that everything is going to be okay. They act as our wake-up call, reminding us that life really is that precious.

Their smile.
Their advice.
Their presence.
It all makes the difference.

I've used the jigsaw puzzle analogy before, and I am going to use it again. What we must remember is that we all have best friends for different reasons. I have a group of friends that I am proud of. I love every one of them for their exceptional qualities but also for their flaws. Can I pinpoint which ones are my best ones though? No, because you have all added that special ingredient to my life. You have all come together and fit my puzzle-of-a-life flawlessly and therefore, it makes it difficult for me to underline who is "the best". Maybe it's because a good handful of my friends, are best ones? Can that be?

No comments: