Thursday, January 20, 2011

Life's Lessons

Over the last week, I've learned some things...

-The power of saying thank you. Last Sunday, I went into work and I realized that I was the only supervisor closing (normally we are two or three), so I was quite relieved when I realized that I had two of my favorite cashiers with me for the night. I was so impressed with their work that naturally, I thanked them. The look on the girls' faces really caught me off guard, I could see it in their eyes that they were surprised. Immediately, I asked them what's wrong, and she replied: "C'est la première fois qu'un superviseur nous dit merci pour le travail qu'on fait." I couldn't believe it. I don't understand how the other supervisors don't take the time to thank their colleagues, their friends. I don't get it.

-Don't push things to tomorrow. These last two weeks, I have gotten back into my routine of going to the gym. On Mondays and Wednesdays I also attend a Zumba class, so when I head home, my body is tired and I really don't feel like going to the gym to train again. But then my conscience speaks to me... Instead of pushing my work out to another time, I tell myself: "Because you're putting doubt in your mind, you're going to go to the gym." And I do. I listen. I go, and I sweat and I work myself to the bone. I guess you can call it punishment, but I consider it to be a reward.

-Care for each other. On Saturday, although I was having a good time partying with my work friends, I had two friends who were in need of a little TLC. I stuck by them all night, gave them advice and wiped the tears from their cheeks. In the end, everything turned out okay, but to see them like that, broke my heart. I hate to see people upset, especially when it concerns people that always have a smile on their face and make me happy.

- A compliment goes a long way. I don't handle compliments well, and I'm sure that leads back to my confidence issues. That being said, I am starting to learn to embrace them, and believe the other person when I get a compliment.
- "You're a good friend, I hope you know that." -Jon
- "I love you Agnes!! I love to work with you, your MY supervisor!!!" -Isabelle
- "...as long as you're determined and driven, which I believe you fully are, then you can get things done." -Tabitha
- "I am so excited for you to join my team, seriously, I can tell from now that you're going to do great!" -Alain
...Way to warm my heart, guys <3

No comments: