Monday, January 24, 2011

I love making people smile.

There is something about going out of my way for people, and making their days that much better that just make mine that much more worth it.
Today, as most of you know from my previous post, Montreal is going through an Ice Age. It's funny to think that Quebec weather can experience two different polar extremes. I can remember just a couple of months ago, we were sweating and complaining about the 40 degree heatwave, and now we're sitting at -35degrees with the wind-chill factor.

Anyway, while I was waiting for the bus today, I immediately thought of my coworkers who would be pushing carts in today's weather. So, after school, I decided to head to Tim Hortons, bought two hot chocolates and then headed to work. I found Nicolas in the parking lot pushing a line of 10 carts, covered from head-to-toe in winter gear. I barely noticed that it was him until I saw his eyes, the only thing bare on his face. I followed him to the store entrance, and handed him his hot chocolate and told him that he deserved a little break. He peeled his neck-warmer off his face, revealing his mouth, and smiled the biggest smile I have ever seen and thanked me over and over. I'm not going to lie, this caught me off guard. To give you a little background information about Nick, he is in his 30's, slow (mentally & physically, and I don't mean that in a discriminatory way at all), and quite anti-social. He's the type of guy who is very passionate about what he knows, and since he has been working the same job (Aide General) for the last 8 years, no one other than him knows what's right. In the five years that I have been working with him, I have never seen him smile...until today. It was amazing.
Then I proceeded to give my second cup of hot chocolate to my good friend, Jon. Naturally, he jokingly got mad with me that I had gone out of my way for him, called me a "loser" and then gave me a hug. It's how our friendship works, I guess haha!

It breaks my heart to watch these guys go outside in any type of weather: scorching heat, rain, snow, cold and push shopping carts for minimum wage. It drives me crazy and it makes me angry because they are so unappreciated. So, whenever I can, I try and give them the appreciation that they deserve.

At work, I am in charge of our "Tableau de reconnaissance" and making sure that there is something always on it. Since it was my idea, I really don't mind and I actually enjoy putting up a new "shout-out" for someone in the store. Today, even though I wasn't working, I decided to update my board:
"Un gros merci à Nicolas Dufresne et Jonathan Andrushkoff qui ont poussés les paniers dans un froid glacial (-35C avec le vent)!"

I went home feeling content and despite the cold, warm inside. Passing on happiness is something that will never get old.

No comments: