Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sipping on a strawberry lemonade in the middle of winter

So after a beyond hectic week of midterms, I am now on spring break! I haven't done anything special, nor do I plan on it, but just the fact that I can sleep in until about 9am every day is beyond amazing.

Right now, I am sitting in the Second Cup on Ste Catherine's street, looking out the window with my strawberry lemonade in hand. Have you ever taken the time to just look out the window and watch people? It's quite an amusing thing. There is a teenage girl with more piercing holes in her face than swiss cheese talking to a business-executive looking guy who probably ironed his pants over and over again this morning to get them that perfect. There is this woman who just handed a hobo a $5 bill. There are fashionable people walking in and out of Mexx, while old ladies walk by with plastic covers on their head to shield themselves from the rain. There is a woman who has been trying to parallel park in front of the Second Cup for the last 5 minutes (not that I could do a better job).
It's fun just looking at people. It's weird to think, but at 4:03pm on this day, all of those people were in viewing distance of me... but we all have different stories and perspectives on how our days went. Life is funny that way, I guess.

So you're probably wondering what I'm doing downtown in the first place if I'm on spring break. I have been thinking about doing this for a while, and I have blogged it as part of my New Year's Goals, but yesterday after doing some thinking, I decided to make it official. This summer, with some of my best friends, I will be taking on the challenge and doing The Weekend to End Breast Cancer. For those of you who are not familiar with it, basically it consists of raising $2000 and walking 60km (in two days) around Montreal to honor and raise funds for breast cancer. I have been wanting to do this walk for a long time, but I never felt the drive to exercise, and get physically prepared for the walk. After all, I will have to train for this if I don't want my legs to fall off. I am so excited to get things rolling! We already have tons of ideas for fundraisers, and you know me, I thrive for organizing events. It has been so long- probably since high school- that I have had to opportunity to do such a thing, so my brain is constantly flowing with ideas. I won't mention what we have in mind just yet, but I expect for you all to be there supporting us! I would appreciate it tremendously!

So now I have about 2.5 hours to kill before the orientation meeting at the YMCA for the breast cancer weekend. I'm heading there by myself tonight, and will share the information with the girls once I get home.

When I first thought of doing the walk, I questioned whether or not I had the perseverance to raise the money, and do the 60km walk... but then I thought of the women that are fighting for their lives with cancer... walking isn't hard, beating cancer is. I'm determined to do this, and with my best friends by my side I know that I can accomplish this, and much more.

No comments: