Friday, December 11, 2009

The Cookie-Cutter Girl

I'm not perfect.
Nor will I ever be.
Nor do I expect to magically develop this technique over time.

I don't know what you were hoping for when you decided to have kids back in 1988, but I am not her.
I'm sorry if I'm not the daughter you expected. I disappoint you, I can tell.

All I can give you is what I have provided you with these last 20 years. With time, I'll learn more about life and grow... But right now, in this moment, this is all I can offer you:

A curly haired girl who has a lot of ambition. A person who likes to smile and see the positive side of most situations, but often hides her feelings when she is feeling otherwise. A girl that goes to school everyday, studies hard and is proud of the work that she contributes in and outside of school. A girl who stands up for what she believes in, but is frail. A girl who lacks confidence. A person who cares more for other people than she does herself. A girl who loves the people in her life; her family (friends included) and will do anything for them.

Everyday I think to myself, shouldn't I be trying to do things to make you happy? Instead, my goal is to keep you from getting upset with me. I am constantly walking on eggs shells and double or triple checking things so I don't toy with your routine.

I look forward to the day that you utter the words "I Love You" and I know that you actually mean it, because right now... I'm not sure.

No comments: