Monday, August 8, 2011

Hello from Athens

Yiasou! "Hello" in Greek

So, I'm actually writing this blog from Athens! As promised, I said that I would keep in touch as often as I could so here is my first post after my first day of travel.

After a morning of rushing and last minute packing, we departed on a nine hour flight this afternoon from Montreal at 4:20pm. Although I was quite discouraged by the length of time we were about to spend on the plane, I have to admit that it went really fast. Besides the overcooked yet raw pasta for supper, and the fact that I didn't sleep AT ALL on the plane, everything went super well.

We landed in Athens at about 9:10am, got our passports stamped and made our way to the baggage claim. After picking up our luggage (that did make its way to Greece, we were a little worried), we made our way to the exit. There my uncle Elias was waiting for us with a sign "KATSOUROS". It was like a scene out of a movie really. As some of you know, I have never met the family that I am staying with, so it has been quite the experience getting to know people that I have heard of but never met.
There, we proceeded to wait for Vangelis to pick us up, since he is a taxi driver. We all think that Montreal drivers are insane, well, he was driving 160km/hr down the highway... Yeah, it was a joy ride.

We then arrived at Elias and Georgia's house in Athens, where we will be spending our night in Athens. They welcomed us right away with open arms, tons of filakia (kisses) and FOOD. For lunch we had pork chops, rice, greek salad, spanakopita, tsaziki and cheese. We were stuffed. I just want to take a moment and say how DIFFERENT the spanakopita here is from the one at home... Oh God. HEAVEN IN MY MOUTH.

I'm not going to lie, this whole day has been stressful for me. Although I am able to speak Greek and read the language, it has been tough to adjust to ONLY speaking Greek and being the translator for the girls. My relatives don't speak English and the girls don't speak Greek. It's quite the culture shock for them but I have to admit that they have been working hard at picking up some key phrases thanks to Kate's phrase book. (Mel, how do you say Thank You again?)

After having lunch, my cousin Christos and his girlfriend Dimitra along with their friend Nickos, took us around Athens to see the Acropolis. Because it was so hot, we did a lot of the sight seeing by car but we took the time to stop at Dionysis cafe to have an iced coffee and lots of water with the Acropolis and Parthenon in the background.
Afterwards, we spent hours sitting on the living room floor planning our trip to Kefalonia since we are leaving tomorrow and there is a lot to do and know before departing. I'm going to get to see my Giagia (Grandmother) tomorrow, and I am pretty excited about that.

We ended the night with a light supper, Greek salad (all of the ingredients come from Vangelis garden), bread and the neighbours blaring Greek music. The weather was beautiful so we took advantage of it and enjoyed the night on the balcony. I was telling the girls how I feel so spoiled. Everyone has been super nice and helpful, not to mention that we haven't spent any money yet because everyone has been so generous.
So far, our first day has been a big success. I have been awake for the last 32 hours, and I am not even that tired. The girls are currently knocked out (it's 10:37pm here), and our alarms are set for our 6:30am wakeup tomorrow. The adventure continues!

Random funny moments of the day: The last hour of our flight, we were so deliriously tired that everything was funny & Selina getting gum on her jeans and washing the stain out with oil and then scrubbing them in the tub.

Here are some pictures from today:

View of the Acropolis and Parthenon from the Cafe

The girls and I sitting in front of the Acropolis and Parthenon enjoying our coffees

Christos & Dimitra! AMAZING couple and genuine people. We had so much fun with them

The Parthenon! They are doing some construction on it right now

FREDDOCCINO! Coffee and chocolate blended drink :) Delicious on a hot day

No comments: